Sunday, November 6, 2011

What's it like to be a waitress? Any tips for someone new?

Well I was a waitress quite a while ago, I worked for denny's. That was my first time officially waitressing. For someone just starting out, walk in confidently. Being confident in your abilities will be the first test you'll be put through as a waitress. Next don't let anyone punk you, I know that sounds weird but co-workers will try you. An easy one, keep you uniform neat and clean. This also sounds weird but if you stand out you get bigger tips(blond or red hair, smile alot, cute, attractive, flirty, funny). Don't be afraid to flirt with the men just alittle they love it and it boost there ego. Communicate well with your cooks and bussers. They are the backbone of the whole operation and they keep things flowing. Learn when to listen and when to ignore your manager. Some managers are cool and others are totally es, so watch and learn your managers habits. Learn to rotate tables, if you just took a table then seat someone else. Don't slam yourself or others, unless you need the money or they don't want any tables. Don't judge a book by its cover, meaning just that, those you think have no money are the ones that tip. Always know small children make huge messes, beware of things like crackers and anything else they can crumble and throw on the floor. Fights, customers will get angry, with you, with themselves and sometimes with no one. Be careful, the stories I could tell you and I only waitressed for 3 years. I had a customer once wanted to fight me because there was no tomatoes on her man's salad, thats right, over tomatoes. Get non-slip shoes, don't take chances with regular shoes. One girl I worked with had regular shoes on and I told her she was going to fall, next thing I knew she fell and broke her finger, didn't mean to jinx her but she should have known better. Most likely you will be working with all women, women can be dramatic, so watch for that also. And remember nurses aren't the only ones who eat there young, waitresses do it too. That doesn't mean to close yourself off to everyone but beware of those that can stab you in the back. I also have one last thing, I recommend you read the book Nickle and Dimed, this book opens your eyes to the service industry. Its a small book so its easy to read and has some interesting facts to take to heart. So good luck in your job and remember that your experience much like your service skills will grow with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment